- How-To SEO Guide for Website Designers
- Off-Page Optimization
- SEM (Search Engine Marketing) Strategies
- Search Engine Optimization FAQ
- What In the World Is Organic SEO?
How-To SEO Guide for Website Designers
Let's take a look at the steps you need to know for creating a site structure that will rank well with the major search engines:
- For SEO purposes, it's always best to design with a page extension of .htm or .html, .php work good as well.
- Never use frames.
- Make sure that every page on the site has a text link on the home page. It's not so important what size the font is or where it's located; for SEO purposes, it just matters that it's there, in text format.
- Make sure your linking text uses keywords.
- Make sure your page file names use keywords.
- Never use underscores (_) to separate words within file names. Instead, use hyphens (-). The search engines see words separated with hyphens as separate words, but see those separated with underscores as a single word.
- Unless you have a really huge site, keep all pages witihn the main directory rather than placing some in folders.
Two Mistakes to Avoid in a Website Redesign:
- Changing the Domain Name
- Keeping the Exact Same File Names and File Structure
- A 301 redirect is a must using a .htaccess file
For more information on any of these subjects or anything else pertaining to SEO, feel free to contact us here at RDI Marketing.
Search Engine Optimization, Inc.
All rights reserved.